- Save money on haircuts by cutting your own hair. You can buy a haircut kit at Wal-Mart for $20-$30. We cut our kids hair and my husband's hair in our family and save $30/month ($360/year).
- Look for used items before you look for new items. Use Craigslist, Freecycle, and Ebay for purchases - you'll be amazed at what you can find.
- Cut out cable. This is painful but we're about to do this in our household. It will save us $70 a month (over $800 a year!).
- Use your local library. Instead of buying books, check them out of the local library. The library also has DVDs that you can check out, which will save you alot of money on movie rentals.
- Find FREE entertainment. Find cheap ways to have fun. Entertainment can be costly; the average person spends about $1800 on entertainment yearly. You can still have fun on a budget by being creative. Take the family bike riding and pack a picnic for a FREE family outing. Instead of an expensive date night out (dinner and a movie), rent a movie at Redbox for $1 and cook an inexpensive dinner.
Share your Thrifty Tips with us and we'll post them on our blog.
~ Written by Elizabeth