Thursday, September 3, 2009

Environmental Working Group and Sunscreen




Sunscreen is an important topic to me, especially since I live in Florida where the sun seems to shine all the time! I am a concerned parent and an individual who has recently experienced a close call with skin cancer. I do my research and seek out the best sunscreen for my family. I was shocked to learn that the FDA doesn't have strict guidelines for sunscreen. Did you know that?!


My children's pediatrician told me about EWG (Environmental Working Group) and how they test almost every type of product out there - from bottled water to sunscreen. He suggested I look at the site to see the great information about sunscreen.


I have always thought that products with a high SPF and UVB/UVA are the best out there...boy was I wrong! I have also heard a lot of hype about products that are green and good for the environment. I do want to use the healthiest and safest products out there for my family and at the same time if that helps the environment, I'm all for it.


In 2009, EWG put out a report "Best and Worst Sunscreens". This is an eye-opening report. Here is a key fact that I learned:


  • The best sunscreen coverage includes products that contain 7% Zinc Oxide and 7% Titanium Dioxide.

  • They tested and rated over 1600 sunscreens and found 3 out of 5 brand names did not protect the skin adequately or contained dangerous chemicals or both and compiled a list.
Wow, I was shocked! Check it out for yourselves and let us know what you think? WE would love to hear your thoughts on this matter!

Written By: Laura


NOTE: At EWG.org a team of scientists, engineers, policy experts, lawyers and computer programmers who pore over government data, legal documents, scientific study and their own laboratory tests to expose threats to your health and the environment and most of all to find solutions. Information you have a right and need to know.