Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday's Thrifty Tips


Here are this week's thrifty tips to save you time and money:
  • Squeeze all you can out of the tube! Whether it's toothpaste, shampoo or sunscreen - be sure you are using all of the product in the tube to get your money's worth. Personally, I cut the end off and squeeze from the opposite end when it's almost empty. This allows me to get at least another 5-10 uses from the tube.


  • Skip the paper towels! As a mother of 2 young boys, I am cleaning up spills and messes all the time!!! But, to be honest, paper towels are very expensive when we use them for every little mess. We've made a concentrated effort to use towels we can throw in the laundry and it has saved some money. I still keep paper towels on hand but I am not buying them as often as I used to!


  • Set your printer on "economy setting". I didn't even know this existed until a friend of mine told me she printed alot of coupons (like I do) and she hardly has to replace her ink. I asked her secret and she said she uses the "economy setting" on her printer. To find out more about it, click here for an informative video.


  • Use dryer sheets more than once. I generally use them 2-3 times before I toss them. I know people who cut them in half but that seems too time consuming for me.


  • Freeze it! Store your extra hotdog and/or hamburger buns in the freezer instead of throwing them away. I always have leftover buns and this is a great tip to save money. I simply take them out 2-3 hours before I need them and thaw at room temperature.


  • Reuse baggies. I wash mine out and reuse them. I definitely get my money's worth from a box of baggies!


~ Written by Elizabeth

1 comment:

Froislands said...

Hey! I'm wondering about this economy setting for my printer. I watched the video, but unfortunately I have a Mac, so the video wasn't able to help me (unfortunate that the video was for a PC, not unfortunate that I have a Mac HA!). Anyone have any advice? Many Thanks!